Wheat Dangers with William Davis
This is a 20 minute video where a heart surgeon describes the dangers of having wheat in our diets. This information could be very important for you. You don’t have to agree with what William says, but it’s a good idea to listen to it and then make up your mind. If only part of what he says is true, it’s astounding. You might consider never eating wheat again as you do now.
William Davis is another medical doctor (like Alejandro Junger) who was working as a conventional heart surgeon but got disillusioned and looked for a better way. Have a listen to what he says and make up your own mind. My notes are below the video.
My Notes from “The Paleo Way – Pete Evans interviews William Davis”
- William Davis is the author of the book “Wheat Belly”
- He was a conventional “interventional” cardiologist
- He saw the same patients coming back over and over so he turned towards preventions
- The standard advice “cut your fat and take statins” is silly
- He began to learn lessons about nutrition and diet
- If you have high blood sugar you’ve lost control over your heart disease risk
- Wheat has one of the highest glycemic indexes and dominates western diets
- His patients, after 3 months without wheat, showed that a whole range of disease problems disappeared
- There was an astounding outpouring of transformations in people’s health
- What is in wheat that’s causing this?
- Gluten is one protein (but only one) that gives it viscoelasticity
- Grains are the seeds of grasses
- We don’t eat grass clippings because we can’t digest grass, we can’t digest grass seeds
- The way gluten partially breaks down interacts with the brain and causes stimulation of appetite
- It also breaks down the defences of the digestive system and opens the body up to foreign bodies
- This is the first step in auto-immune diseases – being exposed to the gliadin protein
- Gliadin has been modified by agribusiness
- In modern wheat there are far more problems than just gluten
- About 10,000 years ago (less than 0.5% of human existence) humans noticed livestock eating grass and tried it too. We can’t eat anything but the seed. They took the seed, pulverised it, heated it and turned it into porridge.
- We eat modified grains from agribusiness
- One of the really scary things is chemical mutagenesis
- Wheat is the perfect obesigen! Perfectly crafted to make you fat.
- At least 400 calories extra per day per person when wheat was introduced
- Glutenin blocks leptin so we don’t feel full
- Only the starch is digestible
- Two slices of bread raise blood sugar more than 6 teaspoons of sugar
- Leads to highs and lows in blood sugar
- People should not be eating all the time
- Food companies probably noticed massive increases in appetite when people were fed wheat and sugar, so they put it in everything.
- Wheat is now in licorice, all candy bars, frozen dinners, breakfast cereals, soups, salad dressing – put there by clever food scientists??
- Their aim was to commoditise the human diet?
- To make money on an immense scale – need seeds of grasses. Long storage. Can sell millions of tons.
- Agribusiness changed wheat to make it better for large scale crops, but changes made it worse for humans.
- People know they won’t like the act of stopping eating bread, etc. – they know they’re addicted
- People have withdrawal – about 40% of people
- Small LDL particles are increased through grains, sugars and starchy legumes
- Normal advice “cut your fat and eat more healthy whole grains” is completely wrong
- Grains don’t belong in human diet.
- Rice is more benign because it’s only about 1% protein (wheat is 14-18%)
- If a farmer wants fat cattle… Feed them grains.
- Fat humans eat less fat eat more grains
- Dr Davis’ advice – “Eat no seeds of grasses!”
- Eating them was a mistake
- Dr William Davis’ blog – http://www.wheatbellyblog.com
Leave a Reply