Marilyn Monk is an amazing person I’ve been so lucky to come in contact with as a result of Life in the Right Direction. It’s amazing to see a career scientist (molecular biologist, and Professor no less!) talking about consciousness and service, belonging and meaning, without discarding her scientific approach. It’s absolutely true that we need both science and spirituality – it’s not an either or situation. The videos of Marilyn below are well worth watching. I love to hear how she thinks about the topic of how science connects the world, and more.
This is Marilyn’s 12-minute video, “How science connects the world”…
I really like the way that, if you keep following scientific thought, and keep asking the next difficult question, then one starts to feel that there must be a higher power beyond the boundaries of the scientific enquiry.
Some of my favourite comments of Marilyn’s in “How science connects the world” are;
- Consciousness is everywhere (assuming it is defined by awareness and responsiveness to surroundings)
- Nobody was more surprised than myself when I ended up at the end of my analysis, with proof of the concept that God is service – which I see as love
- Love works. Just every day, love works, and neglect, abandonment and abuse don’t
- At every level of increasing complexity, the material mechanisms of service of parts to their higher order structure are known (scientifically)
- Because I’m interconnected with everything else, I am connected to the consciousness of everything else as well
- Creation equals extinction. There are as many species gone extinct as there are on the planet today, and that turnover means that the old is being replaced by the new. There’s only so much material blown out by the big bang, so for creation to continue, death has got to equal birth and extinction has got to equal creation
- I had these rules of service, parts to whole, whole looking after parts, conglomeration of parts to make a greater whole, turnover, etc. When I got to the top, it was impossible to draw a line because one of the rules was the parts don’t know who they’re serving. So we have the whole cosmos not knowing what it is serving. And, the lesson from the scientific analysis that appropriate service ensuring flourishing and survival, looking like love.
- There has to be a higher power, beyond cosmos, looking after everything
Marilyn’s analysis shows how science can connect the world and it does so without eliminating consciousness and spirituality. A deep scientific investigation often leads to awareness of consciousness and spirituality (for example – Double-slit experiment defines weirdness). Listening to Marilyn’s talk also reminds me of the ability to meditate about a simple table and to realise that the table contains the whole universe (A Table and the Universe) – Marilyn’s fluxing of interconnectedness.
And, you can download Marilyn’s published paper “A Hierarchy of Consciousness from Atom to Cosmos” by following the link. This was published by the Scientific and Medical Network (www.scimednet.org) in Paradigm Explorer 2019/2.
Related Links – How science connects the world
- Marilyn Monk on tawai.earth
- If you’d like to hear more from Marilyn, she has and extensive talk called “Scientist, Poet & Mystic – Complementary Ways of Knowing and Being” from April 2017.
About Marilyn Monk